I DON'T UNDERSTAND:
- Albert Belle at 3.5%. Yes, his career ended early. So did Kirby Puckett's. Yes, he was a world-class douche. So, as it turns out, was Kirby Puckett. Bad Albert was a terror on pitchers for upwards of a decade. 3.5%?
- Goose Gossage still hasn't made it, but Bruce Sutter made it last year. Okay, why?
- Jim Rice? Andre Dawson? Both may sneak in next year, with near-exact contemporaries Dave Parker and Dale Murphy getting almost no support.
- Alan Trammel & Lou Whitaker. Does playing one's whole career in Detroit automatically preclude one from the HOF? I don't see that in the bylaws.
- Steve Garvey is better than Don Mattingly is better than Will Clark? Explain to me how that is not exactly backwards.
- Where's the love for Bert Blyleven? He only has 4 more years, I think, and is almost sure to miss out on enshrinement. Don Sutton and Gaylord Perry made it, but he and Tommy John will not? Irrational.
- Not sure what I would do about Big Mac, if I were to have a vote. Purely on numbers, I think he's a lower-end HOFer but a HOFer nonetheless.
- There's a dude with a unicycle in the hallway, but that has little to do with the rest of the post.